Skip to content

right then

The godlike free expansion to RTCW

Moderators: ikkebar, Gapiro

right then

Postby de warrenne » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:25 pm

have d/l'd it and played it and omce i'd fought my way through the nest of team killers dominating the spawn I enjoyed it.

you need to be co--ordinated, which may/may not suit our particular playing style, engineers seem to be very, very important (not a bad thing) as do people who are willing to cover the engineers (again, not a bad thing), however by this point I imagine you get my point about the need for co-ordination.

would very much like to see how co-ordinated we could manage to be....

lets try and sort this out
de warrenne
Volksturm

right then

have d/l'd it and played it and omce i'd fought my way through the nest of team killers dominating the spawn I enjoyed it.

you need to be co--ordinated, which may/may not suit our particular playing style, engineers seem to be very, very important (not a bad thing) as do people who are willing to cover the engineers (again, not a bad thing), however by this point I imagine you get my point about the need for co-ordination.

de warrenne
Volksturm

right then

de warrenne
Volksturm

Postby bruhv » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:21 pm

just played for about an hour, on a japanese server with a not too great ping, and it was a blast!

i see your point about coordination, but really, a small team of us will do good. engy, medic, lieut(whatever he's called now!) - and the one that can see mines - sticking together, not that hard to coordinate, especially on that particular map.

first reaction - hmmm, where the hell am i - 'where to?' (if i'd binded it)

on long-distance headshotting a couple of axis wiv me thomson - hmm, yeh, like this - 'good game'

on repairing the tank for the first time - wtf? - wow! - cool!

frame rate stayed pretty good throughout, i think i'd have no problem 'getting on the box in depot' so to speak. the only thing i missed was my voice binds, i stayed silent, nodding occassionally, but it was eerie, i stayed quiet, but didn't tap out when i died, and most times a medic came and revived me, even when i was sneakin' in right quiet sneaky places. maybe this was just the server i was on, ping or no ping, they all played good.
didn't even get tk'ed once, lol

to be honest if there are plenty of servers i will play this more than rtcw, but it'll never replace it

btw i'm a sneaky bastard engineer ... always have been ... always will be ... maybe that's why this game floats my boat :/

looking forward to the final 3-400 MB download :)))))))))))))

<font size="1">saying that, tonights blast on wolf with ed was a laugh, and it did my ego the power of good.
just really should of worn me tags :\

bastards</font id="size1">
bruhv
Oberkommando des Heeres
Oberkommando des Heeres

Postby Asmodain » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:52 am

I tried it and... Let's just say it didn't interest me more than 5 minutes. I didn't even try it again to prove my point(like I did with MOH:AA).
Seemingly every game I wait(ok, I waited about 3 days for RtCW: ET), flops in my opinion.
Asmodain
Herr Oberst

Postby de warrenne » Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:50 am

Agreed, the need for co-ordination does not require 10 people running at once, but its nice to know that when you are building bridge or repairing the tank there's someone covering you!

will certainly be playing more - as '(GD) de warrenne' - would be good to see you all there.

Asmo - what was the problem with it?
de warrenne
Volksturm

Postby Asmodain » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:25 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by de warrenne</i>
<br />Asmo - what was the problem with it?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'll put it this way: The lack of realism. My FPS days are over, I didn't find the game any fun really... It was dull and repetive.
Asmodain
Herr Oberst

Postby bruhv » Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:19 pm

imo games with heavy doses of 'realism' just get real boring real quick

each to their own :/
bruhv
Oberkommando des Heeres
Oberkommando des Heeres

Postby doctor jeep » Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:25 pm

well, ive been playing the test and first off a few negative comments:

seems to lag a lot and also the screen seems really jerky and its difficult to hit anything. i'll continue playing with the settings but its definitely not as nice and smooth as rtcw or bf42.

on the positive, i think it'll prove very popular, especially as its free, and i like all the promotions and in-game stats. I could get very into all that.

also the new classes seem great, and the artillery is an excellent idea.

i think we have to try this out as a team game ... work out all our tactics and stuff in advance, get organised etc. I think it has real promise.

I'll be medic btw - i havent got my head round any of the other classes yet!
doctor jeep
Ze Fuhrer
Ze Fuhrer

Postby bruhv » Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:32 pm

there are client side issues, they seem to be on to it

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no matter how good server, settings or connection, the player models dont animate smoothly at all, seems like theyre just drawn on screen when packets arrive from the player you are watching/trying to kill, without bothering to animate the movement that happens between the packets. this all makes shooting feel like its all lotto, increasingly so when youre getting closer to the one youre trying to shoot. i have constant 76 fps, so its not your fps that causes that in case you thought so. more lag of course makes it worse.
i really hope they are able to fix that for the final release, because thats basically the only thing that makes et feel worse than wolfy, except for some ghey sounds but those are very easy to fix.

reply:
This is an accurate description of what's going on with the client-side renderer. It's a known bug. It will be fixed in the final release.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bruhv
Oberkommando des Heeres
Oberkommando des Heeres

Postby Asmodain » Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:40 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bruhv-ahh</i>
<br />imo games with heavy doses of 'realism' just get real boring real quick

each to their own :/
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I thought so too, but after games like OFP and IL-2 Sturmovik(Forgotten Battles) I just can't turn back.
Maybe it's just the industrys steady-phase, meaning there are alot of Counter-Strike clones coming out all the time. Thank god Half-Life 2, Doom III, S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Oblivion Lost and Far Cry are coming for the rescue! :-)
Asmodain
Herr Oberst

Postby Gapiro » Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:21 am

I thought it was great, but there are very few laggless servers at the moment
its ok for people like me and bruhv but not people with 56k. I think it would be good for a GD team, but first we would have to learn the commands. I will play as medic if/when u need me
Gapiro
Herr General

Return to Board index

Return to Enemy Territory